Wednesday 29 June 2016

In Tough Times, Jesus

"Has God abandoned me?"

"God won't forgive me."

"God doesn't love me."

"Why can't I change?"

"Is there any hope?"

Over the past eight years in Outflow I've had some, if not all of these things said to me. I've even given my fair share of quaint Christian responses to these questions and statements. Of course anyone who's been through dark times knows it's not that easy, and any Christian who's read their bible knows it's not that simple.

The truth is, I've been going through a bit of a dark time myself over the past while. It happens every so often. Over the years I've learned to spot the triggers. I've read the books and listened to many "professionals" lecture about depression and anxiety. The amount of information I've devoured on these subjects during my "prison times" should at least qualify me as someone who is not ignorant about these matters.

Through all my reading, however, nothing compares to the help offered in the bible.

Cue the glazing of the eyes.

I say this as a man who is well aware of the tougher bits of Holy Scriptures. I recently saw an interview where a relatively well known magician said he became an atheist at age 16 as a result of reading the whole bible because his youth pastor encouraged him to. He now encourages everyone to read the bible from cover to cover to discover that the God mentioned in it is nothing like the one Christians preach about. He feels it's the best way to make someone an atheist.

While I disagree with him in one sense - for many have become Christians by reading the bible - I agree that much Christian teaching avoids the tough bits of God's word that are not palatable to our delicate culture. For instance, scriptures that speak of divine judgment (Hebrews 10:26-31), or God's hatred of the wicked (Psalm 5:5/11:5), and the wrath of Jesus (Revelation 6:15-17). These are just a few of the many parts of God's word that aren't easy to take, but provide deep spiritual insight when studied and interacted with.

One such passage I've been struggling with is Hebrews 12:17: "For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears."

This is about Esau from the book of Genesis. The guy who had his younger brother, Jacob, steal his birthright. It's is a scary verse because on the surface it appears that it's possible to want to turn from sin - want to change- and yet be unable to find God's mercy. I've even found myself thinking, "Maybe I'm Esau. Maybe I'm beyond repentance." Is that what this verse is saying?

Thankfully, no.

As with every verse in the bible, there is a context. When you read the account of Jacob and Esau in Genesis 27 and the preceding verses in Hebrews 12, along with some help from some dudes who know Greek, you find that the verse goes more like this: "For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent (to change the situation), though he sought it (the blessing) with tears."

The story shows that Esau sought the blessing, not repentance, with tears. Anyone who wants to repent (change the way they've been thinking and acting) in relation to sin can find God's mercy and grace. Repent and believe in Jesus for the forgiveness of sins, for new life and entrance into God's kingdom. This is the message we offer to those we serve and love at Outflow. We point people to Jesus - God in human form. The One who felt abandonment on the cross for us. The One who offers new beginnings, hope, love and forgiveness to all who receive him and believe in his authority. The One who rose from the dead and will judge the world with justice. This is the message of the early church.

Jesus is not a quaint answer to difficult questions. He's a Person who invites us to follow him into the goodness of the Triune God. This is the message that gets me through tough times.


Philip