Thursday 16 June 2016

Glorious Bodies

He came to Outflow looking for a piece of mail he was expecting. He was stiff and sore, finding it difficult to move any part of his body. There were bruises and scratches on his arms. “I was jumped,” he explains.

Every day I meet people who are in very poor physical condition. This week alone, I have met people with a vast list of ailments: a broken hand, missing and aching teeth, bruised skin and sores at injection sites, a severe back condition, fibromyalgia, a battered body. I have met people who probably have internal damage from years battling addiction. I have met people with less visible illnesses including mental health issues. It's not until I compile a list upon reflection that I realize just how much brokenness and pain I have come into contact with over the course of the week. And this list does not even touch the hurt and damage that is buried within, as in the girl who works on the street and battles depression. That runs far deeper. The people I have met this week could lead me to wonder if there is hope. But I know there is. And it's here:

“But we are citizens of Heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Saviour. He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control.” Philippians 4:20, 21

Jesus is our hope. He is the promise of “glorious bodies.” It is hard to see the pain in these bodies, but oh, the joy in knowing that there is hope for strength, vitality, freedom from illness and pain, transformation. We will have bodies like His. 

--Chanelle