Monday 13 June 2016

A Reflection on Mercy

I read The Beatitudes a few days ago using the Lectio Devina method of scripture reading and meditation. One of the steps in this method is to re-read the passage a few times until a word, phrase, or sentence stands out to you. During my reading the sentence, “God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy,” (Matthew 5:7, NLT) stood out to me.

I was a bit surprised by this because I already have two “favourite” beatitudes, verses 5:6 and 5:9. Every time I read or hear The Beatitudes these verses resonate with me. I find it easy to have a hunger and thirst for justice. For many people I know, justice will improve their lives. I long for the satisfaction that my hunger and thirst will bring. Similarly, many folks in my life bring their conflicts to me and they expect me to be able to resolve them. For some people that I know, Outflow is their source of peace and we at Outflow hope that we can point these people to our Father.

A few days ago though, while reading The Beatitudes, I skimmed through these verses without even realizing it. Mercy was screaming at me in the gentlest way it could. In his opening statement for the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus sandwiches mercy (and purity) between justice and peace.

“God blesses those who are merciful, for they will be shown mercy.”

This is what I take from this...

Justice is impossible without mercy. Peace is impossible without mercy.

If I am hungry for justice and if I expect God to satisfy this, I will undoubtedly notice that my hunger can only exist if injustice exists. Injustice can only exist if someone is unjust. Injustice has a face – either a single perpetrator or a system buoyed by many perpetrators. If I am a peacemaker and if I expect God to show his peace to people, I will undoubtedly notice that conflict is all around me. Like injustice, conflict has a face – either a single face or a systemic face.

I believe sin is a reality in our world. Sin is why injustice exists. Sin is why conflict exists. In addition to believing that sin is a reality, I also believe that Jesus' death and bodily resurrection is a reality in our world. Injustice and conflict taunt us and in doing so, they show us they need to be punished. God punished the sins of injustice and conflict when Jesus was executed and sacrificed.

The question this leaves me with is, Do I believe this is enough? More pointedly, Did Jesus' death answer for the injustice and the conflict that I see most everyday? If I believe it did answer for these – that it is indeed enough – I have no option available to me except to be merciful to people who are unjust or cause conflict.

Like justice and peace, mercy is only necessary when its opposite exists. Jesus' death and resurrection is the evidence that God shows mercy and, as his follower, I have to follow him on the path of mercy too. This means seeing the person guilty of injustice and of causing conflict as I see myself, as a sinner in need of grace. Mercy is not the same as ignoring sin, even heinous sins like injustice and causing conflict. Instead, mercy is approaching the guilty as if they have the same access to grace I do. Because they do. Prayerfully, mercy can show grace to a wretch like me. 

--Tony