Thursday 5 November 2015

On Equal Footing

Equality is important to Outflow.  Equality is also complex, like everything else that is important and good.  We want to help people to restore dignity, to renew life, and to realize hope.  Regardless of who knocks on our door, God knows this person is a sinner but loves her or him anyway.  Everyone we meet, then, is on equal footing.  If anyone deserves dignity, life, and hope then everyone does.  If a particular person does not deserve these things, it would follow that no one does.  That’s hard to grasp in a world dominated by title, sex appeal, strength, money, and power.  Equality is countercultural.  It does not allow us to say “us” and “them”. 

Of course, stating this truth and living this truth are two different things and, again of course, we miss the mark at times.  The fact that we miss the mark is evidence of my point, though.  If I can’t see the person in front of me the way God does (which I can’t entirely) it means that I am just as in need of grace as she or he is (which I am entirely). 

Remembering equality is important for me in the work that I do with Outflow.  I have my finger in a few different projects here, but my primary focus is to serve homeless men.  God looks at each homeless man I meet and says, “I want him.  He is worth my life.”  If the God I claim says this, it is impossible for me to call myself a disciple of Jesus and not see every homeless person as important. 

When Outflow talks about renewing life we recall Jesus’ resurrection as the standard bearer for renewed life.  Without looking to the resurrection we will never know what a “renewed” life actually is.  I think, then, three characteristics mark every renewed life. 

First, a renewed life acknowledges it is purposeful.  Genesis 1:26-30 explains that we are God’s image to the world and that God tasked people with reigning over the rest of creation.  We destroyed that image but God repaired it.  As Christians, we should reflect God to others.  Jesus invites us to participate in the redemption God offers.

Second, a renewed life is valuable.  John 1:1-5 uses the image of light to say that Jesus gave life to everything he created.  Darkness will try to extinguish the light but Jesus ultimately wins out.  This does not mean darkness is weak.  Darkness killed Jesus.  It is clearly strong.  It is not strong enough though.  The light turned itself back on.  Jesus resurrected.  If God takes life-renewal this seriously, it is valuable. 

Third, a renewed life is important today and not just after we die.  Matthew 25:34-40 shows us the importance of today.  The criteria Jesus uses to judge true belief is whether it leads to serving people.  Jesus thinks that my today is so important that he will let someone help me instead of helping Him and then count it just as if this person actually helped Him.  My problems matter to Jesus and so do yours.  He is not an indifferent God. 

It does not matter who you are.  Grace is real.  God wants to renew your life.  Outflow is grateful for the opportunity to demonstrate this.

Tony Dickinson