Thursday 12 November 2015

Royalty

“So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God's Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call Him, 'Abba, Father.' For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God's children. And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God's glory.” Romans 8:15, 16

About 11 years ago, I bought a little pink picture frame at the annual warehouse sale at the Lighthouse Book Store in Fredericton. It was an inexpensive frame made of flexible plastic, and didn't even have glass to protect the photo, just a flimsy plastic film to cover it. The frame had these words on it: “Princess, I'm a King's Kid!” I was a young single mum at the time, and it was helpful to be reminded whose child my daughter really is and who my helper is. So for years, that frame hung in her room with a sweet picture of her in a tree smiling out from it.

On opening night at the new shelter building in March of this year, I heard the most beautiful exchange. One of our guests, after seeing the space, remarked to us, “This place is fit for kings” to which someone replied, “That's the point. You guys are kings.”

And so this theme of royalty, along with a common curiosity with David's question, “What is man that thou art mindful of him?” have been tumbling around within me for years. We are royalty, of course, because we are adopted as sons and daughters of God, Romans says, but why through the death of Christ? Why the need for a blood sacrifice? It has helped me to think of Jesus' royalty becoming our legacy like this: royalty is passed from generation to generation “through the blood,” as we say. When that precious vial was broken open by the spear that day on the cross, the royal blood poured out. When our wounds are touched by the blood of King Jesus, it becomes a part of us, we are changed, infected. We are valuable, worth a king's ransom—or a King's sacrifice, as it were. The King's blood the price of our adoption and the means of our claim to the inheritance because it becomes our blood too, a part of us.

Not long ago, I prayed with a woman who had just spent a night working on the street. As I prayed, I asked that she would know her worth as a child of the King. After she left, I wondered if I should have phrased it that way, knowing that men assign a value to her body every night she's out. I wondered how it sounded to her to have someone pray about her worth. Shallow or insensitive, maybe? But the fact of the matter is that the value placed on her on the street is nothing, hollow, but her true worth is invaluable. She is loved by the King and is worth immeasurably more than any of us can conceive. We all are, because of the royal blood that transforms us into adopted sons and daughters.

With this in mind, I see people in a new way, and servant-hood becomes something different. The other day, I heated up some pasta and had lunch with a king at the Outflow table. We are serving royalty. 

Chanelle Morgan