Thursday 29 October 2015

Show Me the Right Path While I’m Living in the Meantime

“Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow.  Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me.  All day long I put my hope in you”.  Psalm 25:4,5.

I’ve been thinking a lot about the leading of God in the area of compassion and justice.  Compassion meets basic needs; justice asks WHY those needs exist.  In many conversations I’ve had recently, it seems I’m not alone.  This may be an ongoing life long discussion for many and more personal in nature… But, I’m here today so I’m working through my response and how I’m finding involvement.  Just because we don’t have all the answers does not stop us from doing something today.  As someone who loves Jesus and is supposed to live with a changed heart, what is my response to the injustice around me?  Am I turning to the scriptures?  Am I putting my hope in the Lord, being led by the Holy Spirit in my decisions?  King David expressed his desire for God’s guidance and we can learn from the Word of God.  The first step is to want to be guided and to realize that we can find guidance in the Bible.  Psalm 119 is a great place to start.  It tells us of the endless knowledge found in God’s Word. 

I have worked with youth over the years and believe many days they are thinking past me when it comes to compassion and justice.  I think this is great and I feel that many youth have a desire to help the poor and oppressed.  When some are trying to feed a nation, the young heart is giving away his sandwich to a classmate.  Simple acts with powerful impact.  I’m encouraged by youth and know God is using this generation to think past current charitable response.  We do need to work together, spurring one another on in love. Thinking big and planning ahead is important and so is giving away our lunches. Living in the meantime often requires us to use only what is within our immediate grasp, so whatever it is we’ve been given, let’s learn to do good together, seeking justice, demonstrating compassion for people.  This is a life of putting our hope and trust in God, believing He’ll determine our steps and receive all the glory.  I hope that we can seek justice, while giving away our lunch. 

Jayme Hall
Executive Director
Outflow Ministry