Thursday 12 May 2016

Joy, Pleasure and Rich Faith


One day recently, a man came in to Outflow whose circumstances had seemingly been improving, but all of the sudden, things had fallen apart again. He was in complete despair. He was disappointed and seemed very sad. He kept repeating that he was really trying to follow Jesus. Laura prayed with him and a friend of his also happened to be in earshot. The friend burst into prayer right in the middle of Laura's sentence. It was as if he just couldn't help but pray for his friend.

A couple of days later, our despairing friend came back (feeling seemingly a bit better), grabbed a Bible and took it upstairs to read Psalm 16. I wondered why that particular Psalm was on his mind, so I looked it up and read it myself. It says this:

“I will bless the Lord who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me. I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is always right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and I rejoice. My body rests in safety. For you will not leave my soul among the dead or allow your holy one to rot in the grave. You will show me the way of life, granting me the joy of your presence and the pleasures of living with you forever.” (7-11)

How comforting this is. I am thankful for this man who sought comfort in scripture and whose example led me to these words, reminding me that the Lord is always right beside me, that he guides me and grants me joy now and pleasures forever. 

The fact that the importance of consistently spending time in the Word and following Jesus when things are hard was reinforced to me by a poor, broken man is not surprising.  After all:

“Listen to me, dear brothers and sisters. Hasn't God chosen the poor in this world to be rich in faith? Aren't they the ones who will inherit the Kingdom he promised to those who love him?” James 2:5

--Chanelle