Thursday 5 May 2016

Hope for Unsolvable Problems

Yesterday, at 36 years of age, I had a dentist tell me that I needed to get a filling (actually a few fillings). Many would say that this is not a big deal and, in truth, it isn't. It does stand out for me though, because until yesterday I lived my entire life without having a cavity. Not even one. Ever.

I am nervous about getting my first ever filling. It is the drill that makes me nervous. And the needle that comes immediately before it. In spite of the nervousness it is a strange relief to get a filling. I have a problem. There is a hole in my tooth (actually in a few teeth). My problem is a solvable problem. My dentist has filled hundreds of teeth and she will fill mine and things will be good again.*

Solvable problems are good because of the amount of unsolvable problems that I see at Outflow. I know people who have chronic health problems that have no cure. I know people who have suffered years of abuse who still cannot process the evil that happened to them years or decades later because the evil is unfathomable. I know people who have been addicted to alcohol or other drugs since they were children. I know people who are being abused now. These seem like unsolvable problems, at least in the short term. A dentist cannot put a filling in these problems. Nor can I. Nor can Outflow.

People who are interested in knowing about my job often ask one of two questions. First, they ask, “Why doesn't the man you are working with just... and his problem will be solved?” This question always comes from a well-meaning person who is looking to solve a problem that they don't realize does not have a solution. Second, and often after I answer the first question, they ask, “How do you deal with this?”

The first question is hard. The second is easy.

My hope is in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus took the worst that evil can do. Evil killed him. Then Jesus struck back and defeated evil and resurrected. He was dead. Then he was not. I put hope in this because I know how the story will end. The resurrection that Jesus experienced is promised to all who call on him. Grace is a beautiful thing. It solves the unsolvable.

Jesus is unique in this ability. I am reminded of Matthew 9:12 where Jesus tells us who he came to save: “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick.” (NIV) This is beautiful. Come May 31 when I have my fillings done, my teeth will again be healthy. Jesus seems quite happy to let my dentist solve that problem and he doesn't need to do it. Instead, Jesus is going to work on the decades of addiction, the damage done by abuse, and the incurable disease. I don't know how Jesus is going to touch the people I meet. I know he works signs and wonders but I also know that he usually doesn't. Even when there is not a miracle, Jesus is still there, however, and he will solve the problem. The Kingdom of God is near. Resurrection is coming.

Until it is here in fullness, I will remind myself of his promise:

I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fear the Lord
and put their trust in him. (Psalm 40:1-3, NIV)

*Perhaps they will be great. She said my teeth might stop hurting when I eat gummy bears when the fillings are in.