Thursday 3 March 2016

Meditate on Grace

I have been trying to add spiritual disciplines to my life. I invite you to join me in this for a few minutes as you read.

Stop. Rest. Focus. I would like you to join me in meditation. Our topic for meditation is grace.

Let us think about the sin and brokenness that make grace necessary. Think about the amount of love God must have for us to initiate grace. Think about the torment Jesus went through during the last few hours before his crucifixion. Think about Jesus’ emotion when he cried out “Why have you forsaken me?”

Let us think about the joy Mary had when she talked to the risen saviour in the garden. Think about the men on the road to Emmaus when the risen saviour served them supper. Think about the apostles’ faces as Jesus appeared in the upper room. Think about the apostles’ wonder when they watched Jesus ascend to heaven.

Let us think about ourselves. Think about our own sin and why we each need grace. Think about the cost of our salvation. Think about our new lives through grace that Jesus offers each of us.

Grace is, in my mind, the most attractive and the most unattractive aspect of Christianity.

It is attractive for the obvious reasons. I know I cannot fix my mistakes but that doesn’t matter because grace fixes them for me. I know I deserve to be punished but I know I won’t be because grace pardons me. I know that I was lost but now I am found because grace has set me free.

It is unattractive for the less obvious reasons. Grace is free for me, but it cost God dearly. It cost him his life. Grace and the fact that I need it means that I am equal to everyone including the irritating people I wish would leave me alone. Grace means I need grace for me as much as they need grace for whatever sin of theirs I am quietly judging. Grace is somehow less attractive when I am not the recipient.

Let us pray that we rejoice over grace for “the other” as much as we rejoice over it for ourselves.

Jesus also tells us that grace comes with an obligation and he put this obligation squarely on the church, on you and me when Jesus spoke to Simon – renamed Apostle Peter – the rock on which he built his church. Jesus told Peter that he would do something horrible (and Peter did) but that he would be forgiven by Jesus (and he was). Forgiveness is not the end of the story, though. When Peter came through the testing, Jesus had a job for him.

Luke 22:31-32 is becoming one of my favourite passages. It comes at the end of Jesus predicting Peter’s denial. He says:

Simon, stay on your toes. Satan has tried his best to separate all of you from me, like chaff from wheat. Simon, I’ve prayed for you in particular that you not give in or give out. When you have come through the time of testing, turn to your companions and give them a fresh start.” (MSG)

Let us have our final meditation. Let us think about how – now that we have received grace – we can help our companions have a fresh start. How can God use you and how can God use me to demonstrate the grace we have?

--Tony