Thursday 17 March 2016

Freedom is Found in His Grace and Unfailing Love

Psalm 143:7-12

“Answer me quickly, O Lord; my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Rescue me from my enemies, O Lord, for I hide myself in you. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God; may your good Spirit lead me on level ground. For your name's sake, O Lord, preserve my life; in your righteousness, bring me out of trouble. In your unfailing love, silence my enemies, destroy my foes, for I am your servant.”
 
***
A door stood before me, glowing in white incandescent light. Diamonds and crystals encrusted the edges. The door shone with a brilliance that made me automatically think, “This must be Heaven - and I think God is beyond that door.”

With my hand outstretched towards the crystal knob, I paused for a moment as I caught sight of my skin. It was covered in filth – soot was stained into my skin. A stench rose around me. My hands stretched towards my head and I lifted up parts of my nest-like hair that were matted from weeks of not washing.

Suddenly, I did not want to turn that knob. Shrinking away from the door, I started to fall inwards into despair, but a musical voice interrupted me.

“Head right in! He cannot wait to see you.” An angel stood there beckoning me forwards with a bright smile, kindness swimming in her eyes.

Hope burgeoned in my chest. I stepped forwards to push the door open, focusing on the angel's encouragement, and not at the filthy state I was in. I desperately wanted to see my Father and be loved by Him.
 
***
God doesn't care what state we are in. He doesn't want us to live in sin or live a life filled with despair and self-blame. He does not want us to be living in a broken spiritual state. He wants us to live in freedom. In the freedom found in His son, Jesus Christ.

Freedom is found in the welcome we receive at the door. Freedom is in the grace of God, even when we fall and stumble and make mistakes, that grace covers us with a sheer light, softening the bruises on our heart.

This image also reminds me of the responsibility we have as Christians, to introduce others to our Father. He cannot wait for us to come to Him. At Outflow, we try and meet with those who come to the door with the same enthusiasm and kindness that the angel showed me in the dream. For we are all covered in sin and filth, but by the grace of God, we are welcomed in with love, kindness, and joy. That is Jesus working in and through us. It is not by our strength, but through His.

2 Corinithians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

God bless,
Laura Duncanson