Thursday 14 July 2016

How Precious Did That Grace Appear

The woman said, “I know the Messiah is coming—the one who is called Christ. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

Then Jesus told her, “I am the Messiah!”

Just then his disciples came back. They were shocked to find him talking to a woman, but none of them had the nerve to ask, “What do you want with her?” or “Why are you talking to her?” John 4:25-27 (NLT)

Three characters. There is a woman who has sinned. There is a messiah who came. There are disciples who are shocked by grace. It seems that, best-case scenario, I am a shocked disciple.

One day someone I know did something he should not have done. It is probably fair to say that he sinned that day. He thought he had a small injury as a result of this something. He talked to me about this something and his injury, looking at the floor. He seemed embarrassed and ashamed. Rightly so, I expect. A few days later he started to suspect that his injury was not as small as he thought. Then I delivered a message to him that his doctor called. He looked worried. He doesn't know this but I saw him a little while later when I passed him while I was driving. At this point, it was clear that his injury actually was more severe than he thought. His face was sad. Two feelings crossed my mind. Immediately I felt sorry for him. His injury would heal, but it would be a nuisance and it would hurt for a few weeks. A few minutes later I thought, “Well, he did this to himself. It is hard to feel too bad for him.”

Imagine if Jesus had the same reaction I did. What if...

God the Father watched Adam sin and he watched Eve sin. God the Father goes to God the Son and says, “My son. Our creation is broken. The man and woman we created broke it when they themselves sinned. Now they will have difficult lives – work will be exhausting and childbirth will be agonizing – and then they will die. Son, I have a way to fix this.” Then the Father tells the Son the plan. The Son responds with initial compassion, but then says, “Well, they did it to themselves. It is hard to feel too bad for them.”

God the Father and God the Son had the right and ability to react like they did in our imagined scenario. They did not react this way, however. We were created by a God who is gracious. We need to be mindful of this and grateful for this always.

I will not pretend that I spent a lot of time reflecting about my second reaction to come to this realization. I probably would never have thought of it again; however; I had to run an unexpected errand this morning. On this errand I walked down the road that I drove on previously. I walked past the spot where the man I know was sitting and I remembered his face. Immediately, I thought about the woman at the well...

Then I thought about Jesus...

Then I thought about me...

Then I thanked Jesus because Jesus is not like me. I thanked him for grace.